PompeiiinPictures

4. Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno.

Excavated 1749. 12th May to 20th July 1779. Rediscovered and reburied 2006.

 

La villa di Anteros ed Heracleo si trova nel comune di Gragnano, trovata a pochi metri dal confine con Castellammare di Stabia e villa San Marco sull'altopiano di Varano. Oggi è interrato.

 

Non si è a conoscenza se si tratta del nome di uno o due magistrati ma è ben nota la loro funzione nell'ager, ossia quella di conservare i documenti del villaggio, riscuotere le tasse e organizzare le feste.

 

The villa of Anteros and Heracleo is in the town of Gragnano, found a few metres from the border with Castellammare di Stabia and the Villa San Marco on the plateau of Varano. It is today re-buried.

 

It is not known whether it is the name of one or two magistrates but their function in the ager is well known, namely that of keeping village documents, collecting taxes and organizing festivities.

 

The property was explored for the first time by Karl Weber in 1749 and was one of the first Roman buildings found during the Bourbon excavations of the ancient town of Stabiae.

 

1749-50 excavations

 

Villa del Fauno plan. 20th January 1750. 
La planimetria della villa di Karl Weber del 1750 che mostra il luogo di ritrovamento del busto e la targa di marmo inscritta. 

Rimasugli di Fabbriche sotterraneo discoperta un miglia di distanza da Gragnano ed un miglia da Castel-a-mare. Vi sono dissotterrati varj pezzi d'antichità, ed alcuni mosaici. Nel sito notato con A si scopri un rialzo di mura a foggia di piciola ara. Vi era accanto un mezzo busto di marmo sopra di cui scorgevasi l'iscrizzione scolpita in marmo:

ANTEROS L HERACLEO SVMMAR
MAG
LARIB ET FAMIL D D

Portici 20 Gennaro 1750.

Karl Weber's plan of the villa in 1750 showing the find place of the bust and inscribed marble plaque. 

Remains of an underground building discovered a mile away from Gragnano and a mile from Castel-a-mare. There are several pieces of antiquity unearthed, and some mosaics. In the site noted with A was discovered a wall in the shape of a small altar. Next to it there was a marble half-bust above which one could see the inscription carved in marble:

ANTEROS L HERACLEO SVMMAR
MAG
LARIB ET FAMIL D D

Portici 20th January 1750.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Stabiae

Villa del Fauno plan. 20th January 1750.

La planimetria della villa di Karl Weber del 1750 che mostra il luogo di ritrovamento del busto e la targa di marmo inscritta.

 

Rimasugli di Fabbriche sotterraneo discoperta un miglia di distanza da Gragnano ed un miglia da Castel-a-mare. Vi sono dissotterrati varj pezzi d'antichità, ed alcuni mosaici. Nel sito notato con A si scopri un rialzo di mura a foggia di piciola ara. Vi era accanto un mezzo busto di marmo sopra di cui scorgevasi l'iscrizzione scolpita in marmo:

 

ANTEROS L HERACLEO SVMMAR

MAG

LARIB ET FAMIL D D

 

Portici 20 Gennaro 1750.

 

Karl Weber's plan of the villa in 1750 showing the find place of the bust and inscribed marble plaque.

 

Remains of an underground building discovered a mile away from Gragnano and a mile from Castel-a-mare. There are several pieces of antiquity unearthed, and some mosaics. In the site noted with A was discovered a raised wall in the shape of a small altar. Next to it there was a marble half-bust above which one could see the inscription carved in marble:

 

ANTEROS L HERACLEO SVMMAR

MAG

LARIB ET FAMIL D D

 

Portici 20th January 1750.

 

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Stabiae

 

La villa di Anteros e Heracleo, chiamata anche villa del Fauno o villa Cappella San Marco, è una villa d'otium che sorge al confine tra Castellammare di Stabia e Gragnano a pochi metri da Villa San Marco ed è come questa situata sul pianoro di Varano; è stata esplorata per la prima volta da Karl Weber l'11 dicembre 1749 ed è una delle prime testimonianze romane ritrovate durante gli scavi borbonici dell'antico abitato di Stabiae: dopo essere stata indagata e depredata di tutti gli oggetti ritenuti di valore fu nuovamente seppellita. Nonostante si disponesse di alcune mappe, gli archeologi non erano mai riusciti a identificare il sito esatto in cui si trovasse, fino al 2006, quando un gruppo di volontari, impegnato nell'opera di pulizia del costone della collina di Varano, rimase vittima di un crollo: continuando a scavare furono riportati alla luce diversi ambienti tra cui un androne con pareti bianche, pavimentazione scolpita e la cerniera di una porta appartenenti proprio alla villa di Anteros e Heracleo. Dopo un primo generale entusiasmo e varie iniziative atte al recupero della struttura, a causa della permanente mancanza di fondi non si è potuto provvedere alla sua messa in sicurezza, e il tutto è stato nuovamente invaso dalla vegetazione.

 

Della villa non si conosce molto, se non quello tramandato dai Borbone: si tratta con molta probabilità dell'unica costruzione della zona ad appartenere a dei magistrati, come testimonia il ritrovamento di una lapide di circa un metro e mezzo, scritta in caratteri rossi, che riportava la scritta:

 

ANTEROS HERACLEO SUMMAR MAG

 

Non si è a conoscenza se si tratta del nome di uno o due magistrati ma è ben nota la loro funzione nell'ager, ossia quella di conservare i documenti del villaggio, riscuotere le tasse e organizzare le feste. Oltre alla targa, fu rinvenuto un busto di donna, che alcuni studiosi hanno identificato in Livia, con capelli ricci adornati da una fibula e un cameo raffigurante una donna, forse Venere, che stringe tra le mani un ramo, del quale Weber rimane particolarmente colpito tanto che nel suo diario di scavo scrive:

 

"Escavaciones de Grañano: cosa particular. Un cameo, donde el fondo á hondo parece como cristalino, y el medio busto de mujer o Venere blanco como son los cameos, y tiene un ramo en mano, entero, y bien desiñado, y bien travajado, y bien conservado".

 

Scavi di Gragnano: cosa particolare. Un cammeo, il cui sfondo in profondità sembra come cristallino, e il mezzobusto di donna o Venere, bianco come sono i cammei, ha un ramo in mano, intero, ben disegnato, ben lavorato e ben conservato.

 

Poco si conosce invece sui locali della villa: oltre alle scoperte del 2006 si apprende dagli scritti di Karl Weber che erano presenti degli ambienti adibiti alla vendita, testimoniato dalla grande quantità di bilance e monete, talvolta anche in oro, ritrovate.

 

Vedi https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scavi_archeologici_di_Stabia

 

This (also called Villa del Fauno or Villa Chapel San Marco) is a villa otium situated on the border between Castellammare di Stabia and Gragnano, a few metres from Villa San Marco and on the Varano plateau. It was the first Stabian villa to be excavated during the Bourbon excavations of the ancient town in 1749 by Karl Weber and was explored again in 1779. After being investigated and plundered of all items considered of value it was left buried.

Most of what is known of the villa derives from the descriptions of the Bourbons.

In the southwest corner of a small peristyle were the remains of a lararium, in the niche of which was of a young Julio-Claudian woman, perhaps Livia or Antonia Minor, with curly hair adorned with a brooch, now in the Naples museum (inv. 6193). Next to it an altar was found and on the wall above a plaque about 1.5m wide in red letters and from the Augustan or Tiberian era that read:

ANTEROS L HERACLEO SUMMAR MAG LARIB ET FAMIL D D

 

It records the dedication of a gift, perhaps the altar itself, to the Lares and the Familia by the freedman Anteros and the servant Heracleus, an employee of the administration of finance, both magistratus, officials of the cult. They had the tasks of keeping the documents of the village, collecting taxes and organising festivals.

 

A large number of scales and coins, sometimes in gold were discovered.

A cameo depicting a woman, perhaps Venus, holding a branch was also found.

 

From the excavation journal and the detailed plan of La Vega, the villa was composed of three parts: the service area around the small peristyle with a statue-fountain of a Faun lying on a stone, which gave the villa its name and which seems out of place; to the west is a symmetrical sector with reception and living rooms decorated with paintings and mosaic floors; to the south is a triple portico with double row of columns, of which the lower side along the panoramic edge of about 46 m was excavated. The 18th c. documentation shows it was a villa otium owing to its large size (almost 6000 m2), its position and resemblance to the neighbouring Villa San Marco, which also suggests it was an imperial property.

 

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabiae

 

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno. Stabiae, iscrizione di Anteros ed Heracleo, rinvenuta al di sopra del larario di Villa del Fauno. 
Stabiae, inscription of Anteros and Heracleo, found above the lararium of Villa del Fauno.
Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 3705.

According to the Epigraphic Database Roma this reads

Anteros l(ibertus), Heracleo summar(um),
mag(istri),
Larib(us) et famil(iae) d(onum) d(ederunt)   [CIL X, 773]

Si tratta di un’iscrizione sacra con la quale il liberto Anteros ed Heracleo, summarum magistri, offrono ai Lari e alla famiglia il larario contenente il busto della cosiddetta Livia.
Presenta un foro passante nel lato destro, dove con molta probabilità era inserto un grosso chiodo per fissaggio nella muratura.

This is a sacred inscription with which the freedmen Anteros and Heracleo, summarum magistri, offer to the Lares and the family the lararium containing the bust of the so-called Livia.
It has a through hole on the right side, where a large nail was most likely inserted for fixing into the masonry.

Vedi/See edr.it
Vedi/See Magalhaes, M. 2006. Stabiae romana. Nicola Longobardi: Castellammare di Stabia, p. 86-7, nr. 4, fig. 3, cfr. p. 30-1.

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno. Stabiae, iscrizione di Anteros ed Heracleo, rinvenuta al di sopra del larario di Villa del Fauno.

Stabiae, inscription of Anteros and Heracleo, found above the lararium of Villa del Fauno.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 3705.

 

According to the Epigraphic Database Roma this reads

 

Anteros l(ibertus), Heracleo summar(um),
mag(istri),
Larib(us) et famil(iae) d(onum) d(ederunt)   [CIL X, 773]

 

Si tratta di un’iscrizione sacra con la quale il liberto Anteros ed Heracleo, summarum magistri, offrono ai Lari e alla famiglia il larario contenente il busto della cosiddetta Livia.

Presenta un foro passante nel lato destro, dove con molta probabilità era inserto un grosso chiodo per fissaggio nella muratura.

 

This is a sacred inscription with which the freedmen Anteros and Heracleo, summarum magistri, offer to the Lares and the family the lararium containing the bust of the so-called Livia.

It has a through hole on the right side, where a large nail was most likely inserted for fixing into the masonry.

 

Vedi/See edr.it

Vedi/See Magalhaes, M. 2006. Stabiae romana. Nicola Longobardi: Castellammare di Stabia, p. 86-7, nr. 4, fig. 3, cfr. p. 30-1.

 

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno. Bust of a young Livia.
Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 6193.
See Di Massa G., Il Territorio di Gragnano nell’antichità e l’Ager Stabianus, p. 43.

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno. Bust of a young Livia.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 6193.

See Di Massa G., Il Territorio di Gragnano nell’antichità e l’Ager Stabianus, p. 43.

 

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno. Bust of a young Livia.
Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 6193.

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno. Bust of a young Livia.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 6193.

 

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno. 
Illustration of Agate and onyx cameo depicting a woman, perhaps Venus, holding a leafy branch in her hands. 
See Di Massa G., Il Territorio di Gragnano nell’antichità e l’Ager Stabianus, p. 45.

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno.

Illustration of Agate and onyx cameo depicting a woman, perhaps Venus, holding a leafy branch in her hands.

See Di Massa G., Il Territorio di Gragnano nell’antichità e l’Ager Stabianus, p. 45.

 

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno. 
Agate and onyx cameo depicting a woman, perhaps Venus, holding a leafy branch in her hands. 
Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 26775.

Gragnano, Capella di San Marco. Villa di Anteros ed Heracleo. Villa del Fauno.

Agate and onyx cameo depicting a woman, perhaps Venus, holding a leafy branch in her hands.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 26775.

 

1779 excavations

 

Gragnano villa of Anteros and Hercules. Plan after Francesco La Vega.
See Ruggiero M., 1881. Degli scavi di Stabia dal 1749 al 1782, Naples. Tav. XI.

Gragnano villa of Anteros and Hercules. Plan after Francesco La Vega.

See Ruggiero M., 1881. Degli scavi di Stabia dal 1749 al 1782, Naples. Tav. XI.

 

GIORNALE DELLO SCAVO DI STABIA (1779)

RELATIVO ALLA PIANTA IN QUESTO INCLUSA

Vedi Ruggiero M., 1881. Degli scavi di Stabia dal 1749 al 1782, Naples, p. 329-331, Tav. XI.

 

Restano tali fabbriche parte nel tenimento di Castellammare e parte in quello di Gragnano, sito detto la Cappella di S. Marco nei poderi delle prebende del canonico teologo e del penitenziero della Cattedrale di Castellammare.

Si è incominciato lo scavo ali i 12 Maggio 1779, nel sito.

 

N. 1. Dalli 12 alli 27 Maggio si è scavato questo sito con pavimento di calcinaccio, con mura quasichè intieramente ruinate e con un canale di lato rivestito a intonaco con polvere di mattoni; e si è trovato il seguente.

Di bronzo. Uno stilo per iscrivere. Un chiodo.

Di ferro. Una piccola zappa. Un catenaccio con toppa a cassa.

Di avorio. Un pezzo lavorato al tornio.

Di creta. Due lucerne ad un luminello, una ordinaria ed altra sottile con marco nella parte ove posa, scritto a caratteri rilevati di minuti 2 d'altezza, cioè, ATIMETI. Un vaso di quei volgarmente detti mummole alto once 7. Altro vaso a due manichi alto once 6 1/2, di diametro alla bocca once 3 1/2. Un pezzo formato da tre tavole rettangole e poste fra loro paralelle ed unite per lo lato più lungo ad altra perpendicolarmente, la quale resta traforata con due ordini di aperture, contenente ogni ordine quattro archetti. Ciascuna delle tre tavole rettangole è lunga palmi 2 ed once 8 e larga once 4; la tavola traforata è lunga palmi 2 ed once 8 e le tavole rettangole restano unite a questa nella distanza, una dall'altra di once 6; gli archetti continuano in altri ordini, come da qualche frammento. Pare che abbia dovuto servi re questo pezzo per nidi d'uccelli.

 

N.2. Nello stesso sopra mentovato tempo si è scavato il sito contrasegnato con pavimento di calcinacci e mura del tutto senza intonachi. Il muro segnalo (a) tiene la cresta nella sommità che dimostra essere stato di recinto di alcun giardino o podere.

 

N .3. Nello stesso mentovato tempo si è scavato il sito contrasegnato con pavimento di terra.

 

N. 4. Nello stesso tempo si è scavata la porzione di stanza disegnata con pavimento di calcinaccio ed intonaco bianco ordinario e vi restava la base di un molino.

 

N. 5. Dal alli 3 Giugno 1779 si è scavata la stanza contradistinta con pavimento di lastrico di mattoni pesti e si è trovato. Di bronzo. Una moneta di modulo mezzano con testa di donna ed attorno scritto, DIVA 'FAVSTINA e nel rovescio, AVGVSTA; quale ultima parola resta attorno di una donna panneggiata che tiene con una mano, seconpo pare, una face e coll'altra un prefericolo ed evvi il s. c.

 

N. 6. Scala che dal piano sale verso sopra e sottoscala con arco.

 

N. 7. Dalli 4 alli 7 Giugno si è scavata questa stanza con pavimento di lastrico di mattoni pesti e mura con intonaco bianco ordinario.

 

N. 8. Dalli 7 alli 10 Giugno si sono scavate queste due stanze con pavimenti di calcinacci ed intonachi bianchi ordinari.

 

N. 9. Nello stesso tempo si è scavata la stanza contrasegnata con pavimento di lastrico di mattoni pesti ed intonaco bianco ordinario. E si è trovato in questa. Statua di Fauno coricato su di un sasso con pelle di capra che gli resta annodata avanti al petto e gli pende al di dietro; tiene sotto la spalla sinistra un otre al quale si appoggia e lo preme colla corrispondente mano, in sito che sta forato e da dove forse anticamente usciva dell'acqua per formare una fontana. Sarebbe lunga tale statua di marmo, se fosse intera, palmi 3 3/4 , ma gli manca a questa la testa, il braccio e gamba destra ed il piede sinistro. Oltre questo. Una testa di marmo di animale chimerico con collo che prende verso il basso la forma di una gamba attorniata da fogliami; questo pezzo è lungo palmo 1 1/ 3. Una base ottagona sopra di un plinto circolare di marmo portasanta, il suo diametro è di palmo 1 e l'altezza di once 2, è rotta all'intorno in più parti.

 

N. 10. Dalli 11 alli 19 Giugno si è scavato questo corridore con pavimento di astrico di mattoni pesti ed intonaco bianco.

 

N. 11. Dalli 12 alli 15 Giugno si sono scavate solo in parte queste due stanze per essersi conosciuto di essere già state scavate in altro tempo.

 

N. 12. Nel giorno 16 Giugno si è scavata questa stanza con pavimento di lastrico formato con varie scaglie di marmi e gl' intonachi dipinti, ma in istato molto cattivo.

 

N. 13. Dalli 17 alli 28 Giugno si è scoperto questo portico, solo per quanto fosse sufficiente a formarne una giusta idea ed a prenderne la sua dimensione; il muro che resta da uno de' suoi lati è rivestito d'intonaco bianco ed ha zoccolo di colore rosso, sì le colonne piccole che formano l'altro Iato che le più grosse che restano nel mezzo sono di mattoni e rivestile di stucco bianco con scannellature. Il pavimento dal muro alle colonne grandi è di lastrico mescolato con mattoni pesti; da queste colonne alle più piccole il pavimento è di un lastrico ordinario e quasi di calcinaccio; il canale per ricevere le grondaie è formato di lastrico di mattoni pesti.

 

N. 14. Dalli 21 alli 24 Giugno si è scavata questa stanza in parte, ma non si è terminata poiché si era già ricercata in altro tempo, e si è conosciuto essere stati tagliati due pezzi d'intonachi dalle sue mura.

 

N. 15. Dalli 22 ali i 30 Giugno si sono scavate anche in parte queste stanze per la ragione sopraddetta.

 

N. 16. Dalli 29 Giugno alli 3 Luglio 1779 si è ricercato parte del portico designato; il pavimento di questo è di lastrico di mattoni pesti e le colonne ed il canale per ricevere le grondaie è quale si è detto al N. 13. Merita osservazione l'essersi trovate fisse al suolo da due lati di ciascuna colonna e posti parallelamente al canale certe pietre lavorate a foggia di prismi triangolari, quali tuttavia osserviamo usate in certi siti a comodo di chi voglia togliere il fango che possa appiccarsi sotto le piante delle scarpe; e queste sono di travertino. Il pavimento dello spiazzo racchiuso da questo e dal portico N. 13 è di terra ben levigalo e battuto.

 

N. 17. Dalli 5 alli 7 Luglio si sono scavati questi siti con pavimenti di musaico bianco attorniati da fasce negre. Il musaico si è levato in frantumi. Gl' intonachi erano dipinti, secondo si è possuto vedere pel poco che n'esistevano.

 

N. 18. Dalli 8 alli 9 Luglio si è scavato questo sito per la piccola porzione che si osserva nella pianta; il suo pavimento era di musaico a più colori, distribuito in vari lavori; ma questo era del tutto infranto e mancante in gran parte.

 

N. 19. Dalli 10 alli 15 Luglio si è scavato questo sito; il suo pavimento è di lastrico di mattoni pesti; nella nicchiarella segnata vi è vasca per fontana.

 

N. 20. Dalli 16 alli 20 Luglio si è scavato questo sito con pavimento di selci e due sedili, uno per lato.

 

Vedi Ruggiero M., 1881. Degli scavi di Stabia dal 1749 al 1782, Naples, p. 329-331, Tav. XI.

 

JOURNAL OF THE STABIA EXCAVATION (1779)

RELATIVE TO THE PLAN INCLUDED HERE

Seei Ruggiero M., 1881. Degli scavi di Stabia dal 1749 al 1782, Naples, p. 329-331, Tav. XI.

 

Our approximate translation

 

These buildings remain partly in the Castellammare district and partly in the Gragnano district, at the site known as the Capello di San Marco in the estates of the prebendary of the Canon Theologian and the Penitentiary of the Cathedral of Castellammare.

The excavation began on 12 May 1779, at the site.

 

N. 1. From the 12th to the 27th of May this site was excavated with a floor of rubble, with walls almost entirely ruined and with a side channel covered in crushed brick plaster; and the following was found.

Bronze: A stylus for inscribing. A nail.

Iron: A small hoe. A latch with a case lock.

Ivory: A piece worked on a lathe.

Clay: Two single spout oil lamps, one ordinary and the other thin, with a mark on the side where it rests, written in raised characters 2 minutes high, that says, ATIMETI. A vase of the type commonly called "mummole", 7 onces high. Another vase with two handles, 6 1/2 onces high, diameter at the mouth 3 1/2 onces. A piece made up of three rectangular boards placed side by side and joined on the longest side to another at right angles, which is perforated with two rows of openings, each containing four small arches. Each of the three rectangular panels is 2 palms long and 8 onces wide and 4 onces long; the openwork panel is 2 palms long and 8 onces wide and the rectangular panels are joined to it at a distance of 6 onces one from the other; the small arches continue in other orders, as can be seen from some fragments. It seems that this piece was used for birds' nests.

 

N. 2. At the same time as mentioned above, this site marked out with a floor of rubble and walls completely without plaster was excavated. The wall marked (a) has a crest at the top that proves it to be the enclosure of some garden or farm.

 

N .3. At the same time, this site was excavated with an earthen floor.

 

N. 4. At the same time, this room designed with the floor of rubble and ordinary white plaster was excavated and the base of a mill remained there.

 

N. 5. From the 1st to the 3rd of June 1779 the room marked out with a paved brick pavement was excavated and in it was found.

Bronze. A medium-sized coin with a woman's head and written around it, DIVA 'FAVSTINA and on the reverse, AVGVSTA; which last word is around a draped woman who holds with one hand, it seems, a face and with the other a praefericulum [tall vase used in sacrifices] "ed evvi il s. c.????"

 

N. 6. Staircase that goes up from the floor to the room above and under the stairs is an arch.

 

N. 7. From the 4th to the 7th of June this room was excavated with a pavement of crushed bricks and walls with ordinary white plaster.

 

N. 8. From 7 to 10 June these two rooms were excavated with floors of rubble and ordinary white plaster.

 

N. 9. At the same time the room marked out was excavated with a pavement of crushed brick and ordinary white plaster. Found in this room was a statue of a Faun lying on a stone with a goatskin that is knotted in front of his chest and hangs behind him; he holds under his left shoulder a wineskin on which he leans and presses it with his hand, in a place that is perforated and from which perhaps in ancient times water came out to form a fountain. This marble statue would be long, if it were whole, 3 3/4 palms, but it is missing the head, the right arm and leg and the left foot. Also found was a marble head of a chimeric animal with a neck which takes the form of a leg surrounded by foliage; this piece is 1 1/3 palms long. An octagonal base on a circular Portasanta marble plinth, its diameter is 1 palm and its height 2 onces, it is broken in several parts.

 

N. 10. From 11th to 19th June this corridor was excavated with a floor made of crushed bricks, and white plaster.

 

N. 11. From 12 to 15 June these two rooms were only partially excavated due to the fact that they had already been excavated in another time.

 

N. 12. On the 16th of June this room was excavated with a flagstone floor formed with various marble chips and painted plaster, but in a very bad state.

 

N. 13. From 17 to 28 June this portico was discovered, only to the extent that it was sufficient to form a correct idea of it and to take its dimensions; the wall that remains on one of its sides is covered with white plaster and has a red zoccolo, both the small columns that form the other side and the larger ones that remain in the middle are made of brick and covered with white stucco with grooves. The floor from the wall to the large columns is of rubble mixed with crushed bricks; from these columns to the smaller ones the floor is of an ordinary pavement and almost of rubble; the channel for receiving water from the gutters is made of mattoni pesti.

 

N. 14. From the 21st to the 24th of June this room was partially excavated, but it was not finished as it had already been searched in another time, and it is known that two pieces of plaster were cut from its walls.

 

N. 15. From the 22nd to the 30th of June these rooms were also partially excavated for the aforementioned reason.

 

N. 16. From the 29th of June to the 3rd of July 1779, part of the designated portico was dug; the floor of this has mattoni pesti paving and the columns and the channel for receiving water from the gutters are as mentioned in N. 13. It is worth noting that on two sides of each column, and placed parallel to the channel, there are some stones fixed to the ground in the shape of triangular prisms, which are still used in some places for the convenience of those who want to remove the mud that can stick under the soles of the shoes; and these are made of travertine. The pavement of the open space enclosed by this and portico no. 13 is made of well-polished and beaten earth.

 

N. 17. From 5th to 7th July these sites were excavated with white mosaic floors surrounded by black bands. The mosaic has been shattered. The plasterwork was painted, according to what little there was of it.

 

N. 18. From 8 to 9 July this site was excavated for the small portion that can be seen in the plan; its floor was of multicoloured mosaic, distributed in various works; but this was entirely broken and largely missing.

 

N. 19. From 10th to 15th July this site was excavated; its floor is paved with mattoni pesti; in the niche marked there is a basin for a fountain.

 

N. 20. From 16 to 20 July this site was excavated with a flint floor and two seats, one on each side.

 

See Ruggiero M., 1881. Degli scavi di Stabia dal 1749 al 1782, Naples, p. 329-331, Tav. XI.

 

 

2006

 

The site was lost until 2006 when a group of volunteers clearing the Varano ridge witnessed a landslide which brought to light various structures, including a doorway and the hinge of a door.

On its rediscovery the villa was briefly explored, uncovering an entrance hall with white walls and some mosaic flooring.

However, due to lack of funds to allow the excavations to be made stable, the building was again re-buried.

Little is known about the uses of the villa: in addition to the discoveries of 2006, we learn from the writings of Karl Weber that there were rooms used for selling, testified by the large quantity of scales and coins, sometimes even in gold, found.

https://sites.google.com/site/ad79eruption/stabiae/villa-of-anteros-and-hercules

 

01/06/2006 TORNA ALLA LUCE UNA VILLA ROMANA A CASTELLAMMARE DI STABIA (NA)

 

Torna alla luce a Castellammare l’antica villa romana di “Anteros ed Heracleo”. La struttura è stata riscoperta dal nucleo ambiente della protezione civile stabiese, durante la pulizia del costone della collina di Varano, adiacente a via passeggiata archeologica. Si trova a trenta metri di distanza da villa San Marco, nel pieno centro urbano dell’antica Stabiae, distrutta con Ercolano, Pompei ed Oplonti, dall’eruzione del Vesuvio nel ’79 d.c.

“Un gruppo di volontari stava ripulendo l’area da erbacce e spazzatura – spiega Vincenzo Di Martino, presidente del Centro emergenza stabia – c’è stato un crollo e continuando a scavare hanno riportato alla luce uno dei locali della villa. Sembra un androne, con mura bianche, pavimentazione interamente scolpita e c’è la cerniera di una porta”.

L’antica villa risulta agli atti dal 1749. Si trova sul percorso archeologico che collega Castellammare al Comune di Gragnano e, secondo i dati raccolti dalla Soprintendenza archeologica di Pompei, è l’unica struttura di otium rinvenuta sul territorio, proprietà di magistrati romani.

“E’ una vera sorpresa – commenta Raffaele Longobardi, assessore all’ambiente – che ci sprona ad andare avanti negli interventi di pulizia, così da fare spazio agli scavi. Abbiamo previsto degli interventi di ingegneria naturalistica. Inoltre la soprintendenza ha garantito continua sorveglianza per difendere la struttura da eventuali atti vandalici”.

Oggi stesso si recheranno sul posto dei tecnici della soprintendenza per dei sopralluoghi più accurati. Intanto è stato comunicata al Comune l’impossibilità di continuare lo scavo, perché l’area è sormontata da una costruzione abusiva ancora da espropriare. (Fonte: L'Opinione di Stabia)

 

01/06/2006 A ROMAN VILLA IN CASTELLAMMARE DI STABIA (NA) COMES TO LIGHT AGAIN

 

The ancient Roman villa of "Anteros and Heracleo" has come back to light in Castellammare. The structure was rediscovered by the environmental nucleus of the Stabia civil protection department during the cleaning of the ridge of the Varano hill, adjacent to the archaeological walkway. It is located thirty metres away from Villa San Marco, in the heart of the urban centre of ancient Stabiae, destroyed along with Herculaneum, Pompeii and Oplonti, by the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD.

 

A group of volunteers were cleaning up the area from weeds and rubbish," explains Vincenzo Di Martino, president of the Stabiae Emergency Centre. "There was a collapse and as they continued to dig they brought to light one of the rooms in the villa. It looks like a hallway, with white walls, entirely carved flooring and there is the hinge of a door".

 

The ancient villa has been on record since 1749. It is located on the archaeological path that connects Castellammare to the municipality of Gragnano and, according to data collected by the Archaeological Superintendence of Pompeii, it is the only otium structure found in the area, owned by Roman magistrates.

 

"It's a real surprise," says Raffaele Longobardi, councillor for the environment, "which spurs us on to go ahead with the cleaning work, so as to make room for the excavations. We have planned naturalistic engineering work. In addition, the superintendence has guaranteed continuous surveillance to protect the structure from any vandalism.

 

The superintendency's technicians will visit the site today for more detailed inspections. In the meantime, the municipality has been informed of the impossibility of continuing the excavation because the area is covered by an illegal building that has yet to be expropriated. (Source: L'Opinione di Stabia)

 

Notizie archeologiche del 2006, su Archemail.it, Rosario Serafino.

 

 

 

 

The low resolution pictures on this site are copyright © of Jackie and Bob Dunn and MAY NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE USED FOR GAIN OR REWARD COMMERCIALLY. On concession of the Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. It is declared that no reproduction or duplication can be considered legitimate without the written authorization of the Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Le immagini fotografiche a bassa risoluzione pubblicate su questo web site sono copyright © di Jackie e Bob Dunn E NON POSSONO ESSERE UTILIZZATE, IN ALCUNA CIRCOSTANZA, PER GUADAGNO O RICOMPENSA COMMERCIALMENTE. Su concessione del Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. Si comunica che nessun riproduzione o duplicazione può considerarsi legittimo senza l'autorizzazione scritta del Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Ultimo aggiornamento - Last updated: 13-Jan-2021 20:13